At the end of 2010 i discovered the debut album of Electric Wire Hustle and it quickly became one of my favourites. Same as the great Fat Freddy’s Drop, EWF’s members Myele Manzanza, Taay Ninh, Mara TK are all familiar faces in the music scene in Wellington, New Zealand.
Altough everything from NZ sounds laid-back, EWH developed their own sound, a mix of hip-hop, psychedelic and neo-soul with thick drums and percussion layered with synth lines, Fender Rhodes and guitars. The soulful vocals of Mara Tk are influenced by Marvin Gaye and D’Angelo. EWH have already worked with some of their contemporary influences such as Om’Mas Keith (Sa-Ra), Waajeed, Steve Spacek and Recloose.
Currently they are touring Europe and i had the pleasure to see them in the small room of the Melkweg as headliners of a New Zealand Evening. The concert was fantastic and since it was not crowded at all i shot some clips from very close. You can see them on my YouTube channel.
The others acts were also very nice, especially Benny Tones and Ladi6 ft Parks & Julian Dyne. I’m already Looking forward to the next concerts of New Zealands finest in the Melkweg. In september Fat Freddy’s Drop will perform 2 nights and live drum ’n bass band Shapeshifter will perform on september 23.
Altough the summer started early and well this year in Holland, it looks like the rest of the summer is gonna be wet, wet wet 😦 Well i have a few more festivals at the end of August and beginning of September so let’s hope for better weather. Meanwhile you can also dance indoors on this mix.
1. 2 bears – Church
2. Gil Scott Heron – Take care of you (Jamie XX mix)
3. Motor City Drum Ensemble – Basement L.O.V.E.
4. Nicolas Jaar – Can’t see what is burning there
5. Aldo Cadiz & Flavio Lodetti- Fuego
6. Steffi ft. Virginia – Yours
7. Prommer & Barck – The Barking Grizzle (Detroit / Berlin)
8. Azari & III – Hungry for the power
9. Tensnake – Something about you
10. The Walk & Roger ’77 – Summer of 91 (acid version)
11. Ben Westbeech – Falling (Deetron Paradise Vocal Remix)
12. Classixx ft Karl Dixon) – Into the Valley (Julio Bashmore remix)
13. Atjazz & Robert Owens – Love someone (Atjazz Deeper Mix)
14. Freaks & 012 – Conscious of my conscious (Henrik Scwarz remix)
As part of the “welcome 2 America Tour” Prince played three nightconcerts at the North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam (Holland). I was lucky to get a ticket for the last night on Sunday. It was already anounced that every night would be different, and what i heard and read, it was very different. I absolutely loved the concert, it was everything i hoped for. Instead of an obligatory greatest hits show, he played very jazzy in the first hour, and also quite a few songs i didn’t know. He looked very relaxed and happy on the stage and the interaction with his band was great. It’s so nice of him that everyone gets his moment in the spotlight. He new found love Andy Allo is gorgeous and talented, but nothing can beat Liv Warfield and especially Shelby J. These woman can really sing! During all three concerts on North Sea Jazz, Maceo Parker was added to the band. After almost an hour the concert turned into an funk-party and Prince started playing some hits. In this tour he also plays quiet a few covers. I was totally suprised when Shelby J sang one of my favourite disco stompers by D-train (You’re the one for me).
On this excellent website you can see all the setlsist of the tour (in fact you can see them of every tour Prince ever did!)
This is the setlsit of Sunday night:
– Laydown (with Andy Allo)
– The Question Of U (instrumental) / The One
– Gingerbread Man incl. All Day, All Night (interpolation with Maceo Parker)
– When Lay My Hands On U
– Brown Skin (Shelby J. lead vocals, solo Maceo Parker)
– Empty Room
– Calhoun Square
– People Pleaser (Andy Allo lead vocals)
– She’s Always In My Hair
– Future Soul Song
– Girl (Andy Allo co-lead vocals, solo Maceo Parker)
– You’re The One For Me (Shelby J. lead voclas)
– Controversy incl. Housequake
– Let’s Go Crazy
– Delirious / Let’s Go Crazy
– Pass The Peas (Maceo Parker)
– Something In The Water Does Not Compute (with Cassandra O’Neal on piano)
– Nothing Compares 2 U (duet with Shelby J., co-lead vocals Liv Warfield)
– Take Me With U (duet with Andy Allo)
– Raspberry Beret
– Cream (solo Maceo Parker)
– Cool incl. Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough interpolation
Most video’s on YouTube get removed very fast by NPG records, but i found these two of the sunday-night concert.
D-trains disco stomper You’re the one for me
1. George Clinton – Paradigm
2. Mavis Staples – Time waits for no one
3. Jill Jones – Mia bocca
4. The Family – The screams of passion
5. The Time – Cool
6. Madonna – love song
7. Martika – Martika’s kitchen
8. Mica Paris – If i love U 2nite
9. Dale Bozzio (ex Missing Persons) – so strong
10. Sheila E – Koo Koo
11. Chaka Kahn – Spoon
12. Sugar Walls – Sheena Easton
13. Deborah Allen – Telepathy
14. Nona Hendryx – Baby go, go
15. Patti Labelle – Yo Mister
16. Kid Creole – The sex of it
17. Lois Lane – Sex
18. Joe Cocker – Five woman
19. Rosie Gaines – I want you
19. Nona Gaye – Love sign
20. Andre Cymone – The dance electric
The festival weekend is over, i’m tired but satisfied. Both Pitch and North Sea Jazz had a very good atmosphere. Some artists (Flying Lotus and Bugge Wesseltoft/Henrik Schwarz) played on both festivals. I saw some good performances by Aparat band, Dam Funk, James Blake, Snoop Dog, Flying Lotus and some less great performances (but very entertaining) by Chromeo, Buraka Som Sistema, Raphael Saadique, Tom Jones and Bootsy Collins but nothing compares to Prince. His concert was so incredibly fantastic, i was totally blown away by him (but more on Prince later).
I had high expactions of Bugge Wesseltoft and Henrik Schwarz but the whole performance was way to experimental for such a big hall.
Dam Funk had the whole audience in his pocket!
Aparat Band plays one of my favourite tracks “Rusty nails” by Moderat (Aparat + Modeselektor) in a rock version.
James Blake gave a new meaning to “emotional dance music”.
Snoop Dog played his debut album “Doggystyle” with lots of guest rappers.
Bootsy Collins with Bernie Worrel (Parliment Funkadelic) on keys.
Flying Lotus (all the way from LA) with Dorian Concept on keys.
Looking forward to see Prince again tonight at North Sea Jazz. It’s been twenty years, so about time 🙂
The always eclectic DJ Dredd put together this not so typical Prince tribute. Filled with re-edits and remixes, this mix is perfect for any Prince Fan. Check it.
Soft & Wet (Early Version)
Sexy Dancer (12 inch Re-edit)
Just as Long as We’re Together (Re-edit)
I Wanna Be Your Lover (Dimitri From Paris Edit)
Head (Live New Orleans 1981)
Let’s Work (12 inch Re-edit)
Lady Cab Driver (Re-edit)
Computer Blue (Father’s Song Drop)
Glam Slam (Remix)
Party Man (Purple Party Mix)
Thieves In the Temple (Remix Re-edit)
Bonus Track – Strange Relationship (Dredd)